Sunday, April 15, 2007

There's no place like home

When I came here I said that I could never live in Asia permanently and that even I like it here, I could never feel home. Well, now I am afraid that I do start feeling like home and start turning more and more into a Korean.. I have become close with my host family and they treat me almost like their child. The father told me that he doesn’t feel that I’m a foreigner at all, because my mind is so Korean. Today Joshua, my Singaporean friend was laughing at me and told that my behaviour is starting to bee too Korean. Yesterday we went to amusement park with the host family and had good time together.. But today Tommy, my host brother dropped the bomb: Mom, I love Johanna! Owwwww, I have to see that boy after 10 years!!!! Another fun thing happened in a technology shopping mall when my friend said: Johanna, let’s not speak English so they don’t think we are foreigners and charge more.. (Like with this face they’d ever think I’m Korean!)



I also love the way the people are in my suburb. The bus drivers already know me, so I always get a good morning greeting. If I’m the only customer when I come back home they will stop right in front of my door and they also stop if you just wave on the street even there would be no bus stop. If it’s crowded the people sitting will insist to hold your bag, which would never happen in the city subway. And lot of random people come to talk, where as in downtown Seoul they couldn’t care less.
In the pictures: my dear host family

1 comment:

Ikiru said...

hey johanna! man, looking at your blog makes me realize how much more i need to do here in korea before i leave. i wish i had signed up for the host family program. your host family looks so fun and nice!