Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lession One: Adapting to Korean Life Style

Many Koreans as well as foreigners warn you about the culture shock you’ll face in Korea. I’m probably not yet in that phase as everything’s just new and exciting but I can tell a few things. First of all before you have been introduced to someone, you don’t exist to him. So don’t be surprised if people push you in public areas for example. For me however, this was no shock, because that’s how people are in Finland, too, but many foreigners find it confusing.
Also all Koreans tell me that they are so afraid of foreigners. This is why they won’t come to you or answer if you start speaking English. So to see how Koreans really are, you have to make a friend first.

Koreans are also very hospitable and do everything to please their guest. I’ve been trying to ask if I can help around the house, but the answer has always been no. Today when the family left I secretly washed the dishes, so let’s see what they say when they come home… They also always try to be polite, so it’s kinda hard to tell what they really think about something. If you don’t like the food you still take a new portion and praise how delicious it is. (Fortunately I’ve liked everything this far…)

Another thing is that people work here like it’s their last day. Six or seven days work per week is normal, and we are not talking about western 8-hour days. That’s why the mom usually stays at home taking care of the kids and household when the man is working and earning. What a shock it was when they heard that my mom’s a doctor! The man is the man in the house and the gender roles are very traditional.